The Church and Ex-convent of the Compañía de Jesús

Due to the secularization decree of 1867 the building was abandoned for more than thirty years. Near the turn of the century the convent and seminary were broken up and sold to private interests. At that time the ground floor was transformed into businesses and the upper floors were turned into warehouses. The building was declared a historical monument on 4 May 1933.

The main retable in the church is wooden and retains some of its ancient gilded figures. It has one body and a remate (crowning portion or finial). In the central niche, between estípite pilasters (elaborate baroque pilasters with stacked, inverted, and truncated pyramids), there is an image of the Immaculate Conception. On either side are niches that contain images of the Virgin's parents, San Joaquín and Santa Ana.

The Church and Ex-convent of the Compañía de Jesús

The old former convent or school was organized by four rectangular courtyards with corridors and arches supported by Doric columns. Its imposing fortified and enclosed aspect gave rise to the nickname of "Strong House", as it is still known. When sold to individuals, they opened, to the outside, a series of irregular openings to house various commercial accessories. Despite its relative deterioration and modifications, the building generally retains its architectural unity. The exterior facades have been renovated to keep them in apparent good condition.

How to get:
This temple is located next to the Central Plaza (Zócalo) of the City of Oaxaca, on the corner of the streets of Trujano and Flores Magón.

Flores Magón No. 2, Centro 68000 Oaxaca, Oax. Tel.(951)51 62125

Location map

Carousel Gallery (+)clic